Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is a medical treatment that involves the use of hormones to replace the natural hormones that the body no longer produces in sufficient amounts. This treatment is commonly used to alleviate the symptoms of menopause in women and erectile dysfunction in men, but it can also be used to treat a variety of other symptoms caused by hormonal imbalances in both men and women.
Your body’s hormones control most of your basic bodily functions. They serve as an internal communication system between cells throughout the body. They coordinate everything from digestion and growth to your appetite, immune function, mood, and libido. So, when your hormones are out of balance, it can have a big impact on your health and well-being.
Harriet McCoy, N.P. uses Bioidentical Hormone Replacement therapy or BHRT.
Bioidentical hormones are lab-produced hormones derived from plants. They are chemically identical to those the human body produces. Estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone are among those most commonly replicated and used in treatment.
Some of the symptoms that can be treated with HRT include:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Vaginal dryness and discomfort during sex
- Mood swings and irritability
- Insomnia and sleep disturbances
- Loss of libido or sexual desire
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- Memory problems and difficulty concentrating
- Joint pain and stiffness
- Osteoporosis and bone loss
- Erectile dysfunction and decreased muscle mass in men.
- Weight Gain
Is it right for you? The first step is a test to check your current hormone levels.
Call us to schedule your test. (757) 723-1899
- It is important to note that HRT may not be appropriate for everyone and should be discussed with a healthcare provider to determine if it is the right treatment option for an individual's specific symptoms and medical history. Initial consultations for HRT with Harriet McCoy, N.P. or any of our doctors are free.